You're thinking of buying a new number, but first, you want to know if you would really own it or if you would just be renting it from us.
The short answer to this question is, yes you do own any number you buy and can use it and port it away as you please. If you do port the number away, you will no longer be charged for service with NumberBarn or NumberGarage. Your new service provider or carrier will charge you at that point.
Note that this does NOT apply to licensed numbers, only purchased numbers. For more detail on this topic, read on.
If you’re considering making a purchase or have already purchased a phone number from NumberBarn or NumberGarage, you’re probably wondering:
The answer to that question is:
So, how does this work?
Here’s an overview of the process:
- You find your dream number. (Start your search here, NumberBarn Marketplace or NumberGarage Marketplace)
- You make your purchase. (We don’t charge you until your number is active)
- You select a plan to keep your number active. (Even if your number is here temporarily, you’ll still need a plan)
- We activate the number. (This can take anywhere from 3 hours to 7 days)
- We place the number in your account. (We’ll email you when your number is ready)
Keep your number active!
- Keep your number active. (Do not delete your number)
- Keep your account active. (Pay your balance each month)
- If you do not keep your telephone number active with a service provider like NumberBarn, NumberGarage, or another carrier that you port to, you are at risk of losing ownership of the number.
If you’re planning to transfer your number away:
- Wait until your number is activated. (This can take anywhere from 3 hours to 7 days. We’ll email you when your number is ready. If you port your number before it is active, it will not go through)
- Keep your account active. (Pay your balance for your service. Numbers from suspended accounts cannot be ported away)
- Keep your number active. (Do not delete your number until your number has ported away)
- Contact your new service provider to initiate the request. (They will help you with this process)
In case this still isn’t making sense, watch our video to guide you in the right direction:
Note: The above video only mentions NumberBarn but applies equally to NumberGarage.