You will need to acquire a wireless carrier SIM Card. The most cost effective wireless carrier we found is Ting Mobile. Ting Mobile GSM SIMs are available locally (Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc.) for approximately $5 to $10. Amazon has them as well. Direct purchase from Ting Mobile online is another option but may take 3-5 business days for shipping. Google Voice charges $20 to port a number in. Additionally, you’ll need access to an unlocked GSM compatible phone to house the Ting Mobile SIM long enough to complete Google’s verification requirements. This phone may be "borrowed". It does not need to be your active cell phone.
Check Ting Rates here. We recommend the single line at $6. Google Voice will send a call and text for verification. This will count as 1 or 2 minutes falling into Ting’s 1-100 usage minutes for an additional charge of $3.
Now, let’s begin!
Follow this helpful Ting Tutorial to Begin the Porting Process here:
- Go to Ting.com and click Activate.
- Sign in to your Ting account by entering your email and password and clicking Sign in, or select Create one to begin creating your new Ting account if needed.
- Select your Ting SIM card.
- If you are asked, enter your SIM card number (ICCID). This can be found on the back of the card the SIM came with, or on the SIM itself and Continue.
- Click on Select under Bring a number you already have and enter the number you want to transfer. Click Continue. If the number can be ported to Ting you'll proceed to the next page; if it is not eligible, you'll get a message letting you know.
- Fill in the porting away information you have on file with NumberBarn in the number transfer form and then click Done. (You can find your NumberBarn account details here)
- Once you have successfully completed the form with the required info, Ting will let you know that your number transfer is in progress.
Insert the Ting-Mobile SIM into the phone being used. Next, follow Google's guidance here.
Google Voice Steps:
- Check number
- Review Porting Conditions
- Account Information
- Confirm Transaction
A few reminders about porting to Google Voice (as they alert you in the process):
- Mobile numbers typically port in 24-48 hours if there are no issues. Numbers that were originally landlines may take longer (which NumberBarn numbers are all classified as wireline)
- Once, porting is complete, you will not be able to receive calls to your mobile phone until you complete the following steps:
- Set up a new mobile service plan (with your existing carrier or a new carrier) and request a new number.
- Add this new number to your Google Voice account as a forwarding phone in order to receive calls on your mobile phone.
- If you already have a Google number on this Google Voice account, it will be replaced by the number that you are porting and will be completely removed from your account 90 days after porting is complete. During those 90 days you will still be able to receive calls to that number. You will be able to make that number permanent for a one time $20 fee.